Sensory Room 1
Sensory Room 1 class is based at Ruru Specialist School’s main
Sensory Room 2 has students with high and very high needs aged between
12 and 16.
We have high student : staff ratios with 1 teacher and 2 teacher
aides to support four students,
as well as therapists and specialists.
- Each student has an individualized learning
programme including personalised Individual Education Plans
(I.E.P.) and Sensory Diets, completed daily.
- Students participate in a termly themed
Integrated Curriculum Unit of work, similar to other Ruru Syndicate/Junior
- Each student has therapy sessions according
to their own needs including Speech, Water, Multi-Sensory, Music,
Physio and R.D.A. Therapy sessions can be group or individual.
- There is a high use of visuals, sign
language and speech generating devices within the classroom
- Students have the opportunity to use
a range of technologies in classroom each day including an ipad,
an Interactive Whiteboard and a computer
- Students are involved in life skills
programmes including food technology, art, swimming, tramping,
work experience, self-care routines and Special Olympics.
What's On Now...
Our Integrated Unit topic this term is Christmas Production
The students will be participating in a musical performance to share
with their families and friends at the end of the term.
- The students will be learning about
• Handwriting and forming letters correctly
• Different responsibilities they have
• Routines around personal hygiene
- For Food Technology the students will be learning about eating a healthy diet. The students will be making a healthy lunch Thursdays for this topic
- For Health and PE the students will be developing their ball skills and learning about being considerate to others
have individual ICPs and sensory plans they complete each day.